Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 2 - Writing Conference - Sanibel Island
 
 
do you want the bad news first or the good news?
 
ok the bad news
brushing my teeth this morning my new fake tooth fell out
the first time I had it fixed it lasted almost 20 years, this time 2 months
it is in the front,  I considered going home
then I found I could hold it in with my tongue, which I did most of the day
 
 
the good news
she liked it - I think
the literary agent I met seemed to like my proposal
(well how mean are they going to be at a writer's conference....)
she pointed out several parts of it that she liked and had very good things to say
we discussed how to finalize the structure, what to add to the proposal
she clarified several things for me, it was very helpful
and then she said to send it to her
send it to her! I am pretty sure that is what she said
 
 
oh and my favorite new author is Steve Church
here is some good non-fiction
 
(sorry you can not actually click to look inside, here is the link)
 
and here is what Amazon says:
 
 "Combining interview, personal essay, film criticism, fact, and flights of imagination, Church’s richly layered and darkly comic memoir explores the meaning of Cold War fears for his generation and their resonance today."
 
he was a very interesting presenter in the small workshop I was in
very much a free thinker, all about his truth, very inspirational
 
also very adorable and very young
 
or am I just feeling old among all the young people at the conference
there is a good number of white hair too, but no one presenting is older, just wannabes
 
it is also way harder than I thought to come to the conference by myself and not know anyone
people are polite but not friendly
if I join a group that is talking I can tell they think it is weird
no one has approached me at all, or tried to include me
ok one lady I sat next to said Hi and someone did respond a little
while waiting in the line at the bathroom
Sanibel is an old money, upper class, our island kind of thing
the university crowd was at the conference
I'm a nobody
 
the closest I have come to community was tonight when I was sitting at the concert*
 
*(great poet/singer/storyteller Taylor Goldsmith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXCiXbeUXU
check him out if you haven't heard him)
 
and my new favorite author happened to come in and sit behind me with his friends
and we laughed and clapped and dished how rude people were to keep going in and out,
well sort of together....
 
he signed his book for me during cocktail hour earlier in the day 
Dear Deborah, Thanks for reading and writing.  Great to meet you.  Keep writing.
Don't ever stop. 
 
wow
 



1 comment:

  1. What a great experience you're having. Looking forward to whatever comes out of it!

    ReplyDelete