Tuesday, September 13, 2011

garden update

I am actually not sure my yard technically qualifies as a garden, I only have one watermelon that is edible all the rest are desert for the eyes.....

the passion vines have now completely taken over the fence


they are at the end of their fence and are now
working their way onto the next fence
my friend's here tell me that it will eventually pull down the fence!

I guess I will have to do some pruning

does anyone know what plant this is?
I found the seeds in Mexico this year and liked them so much
I brought them home
they were small, hard and very shinny black
with one orange spot on them

here is what the whole plant looks like
I am so amazed I got them to grow from seeds!!
I am not usually so lucky


and of course the hibiscus are lovely and blooming like crazy now
I have pink

orange

 a double orange and a deep red one

I am really excited about this vine too
I started it from seeds I collected in Mexico
it is one of my favorites, it has clusters of little pink flowers
I have seen it down here so I am not bringing in some invasive vine....
this one is not blooming yet


the ginger plants are in pots in the front of the house




the watermelon
it is the third one we have had and they came up volunteer


orchid on the lanai

I saved the best for last
and the reason I wanted to do this blog was to show you this

this
the amazing flower of a plant that grows on the side of our small pond
it was a nice surprise

the pictures do not really do justice to these plants
you should come sit in the yard with us



1 comment:

  1. I like the plant from the shiny seeds too. They're not picky about the way they're taken care of, just what I need! Your, best for last, flower reminds me of what my grandmother called jack in the pulpit. Yeah, I know, she had some weird names for plants.

    ReplyDelete