Tuesday, August 6, 2013

 great trip to the wild west
 
part 1
 
 
got into Colorado Springs just about sunset
the mountains in the distance were striking
 
weird to be in the flat and then just seeing where they start up
right in front of you
 
I rented a car and stayed at my friend D's
 
 
we had lived together in San Francisco in the 70's
we were very close
we had not seen each other for over 25 years
 
it happens
 
 
next stop
2 hours north - Fort Collins
 
 
I put my tent in a friend's yard
we are friend's from Mexico and have/had property in the same town
so fun to see their place in the states
 
by the way - I loved my tent
I ordered it on the internet and had it sent to my friend's house in Colorado Springs
(also a comfy mat)
I checked a bag and brought my own bedding and towels
 
it was about the cost of one night in a nice hotel
 
*ps
I have to mention the traffic going through Denver on 25
it was the worst I have ever seen
5 lanes going 20 miles an hour, for an hour it was more like a parking lot
it took forever to go the 120 miles
mountains on one side - beautiful, traffic on the other - awful
moving on.....
 
heading north from Fort Collins I escaped the main road and took a back
2 lane road
 
 
the road went through some amazing country
like these red rock cliffs
it was a wonderful drive, wide open vistas and no one on the road
 
 
finally Wyoming
 
 first stop was Laramie
 
 
this was a mural on the wall of a parking lot
 
 
 
showing in 3 panels the destruction of logging
on the land

 
Laramie is a really cool town
it had a nice food co op with lots of organic veggies
a vegetarian restaurant and several interesting small eateries
home to the University of Wyoming 
 
 
cowboys in the making
 
just before I got to my brothers town
the historic overland trail crossed the road
 
 
it was a very powerful spot
 
 
 even now there is nothing in any direction but
sage brush and sun
 
 nine miles to the crossing
wow
 
 
I found a nice camp site only 1/2 mile north of town
 
 
 right on a lake - the only water for miles
(ok I am sure it is not a natural lake but it is a desert and water is water)
the mosquitos didn't have a problem with it
I could walk the inner tube down to the dock, put in and let the wind
blow me back to the campsite, pretty sweet as it was hot there in the afternoon
 
 
it made for a great warm night though
and it was fun to see my brother again
 
 
 
he had 3 days off work and
we headed into the Medicine Bow Mountains
 
 
 
 
 I had been missing the trees and rivers of the west
 
 
it was cold but you had to do it
 
the bad news was that the forest was dying there
 

 
huge stands of trees were standing dead
 
a bark beetle epidemic
aided by a extended drought
 
 
the tree turns red, then brown, then finally they rot and fall over
in this forest alone there were over 94,000 acres of dying trees in 2008
 
 

 
thousand's of trees in the campgrounds had to be cut
as they were hazards about to fall
all that standing dead represents a great fire danger as well
 
 

 
as we went further up into the mountains the next day
every mile or so we say huge piles of dead and diseased wood
piled by the side of the road to be burned this fall when the rains start
 
it was very sad to see
 
there were however still very beautiful places
 
 
 further into the mountains was this lovely little stream
lined with white barked trees
 this is my idea of a mountain stream!
 
 
 
the drive was only 20 miles from the last nights camp
the scenery changed and we drove through
wild flower filled meadows
 
 
to the cabin we had rented for 2 nights
called the Snow Survey Cabin
 

 
it was the perfect cabin in the woods
(well when there were woods, it has been replanted....)
 
 
it had everything you needed
I think it would be fun to stay there in the snow for a couple days
in the winter when you have to snowmobile or ski in
 
I read the entry in the log book of the couples who stayed up there last new year's eve
sounded like they had fun
 
the next day we drove up a little farther to the pass
 
 
it was amazing to be up against the rock top like that
 

 
we are about 12,000 feet here
pretty high for a girl from sea level
 
 
we took time to relax too
 
 
enjoy the view
 
 
and smell the flowers
ok actually these did not smell
more like candy for the eyes
we were there at the perfect time for the wildflowers they were everywhere
 
 
this is Indian Paintbrush
or Castilleja linariifolia -  is it's Latin name
 
the state flower of Wyoming
it was out in abundance
 
 
this is my photo
here is one from the web where you can see it's true color
 
 
(I need a new camera.....)
 
 
 
coming soon
 
 part 2 - Saratoga, Wyoming

 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Sounds like a fine trip. Looking forward to Chapter two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you plan it out, then it pretty much turns out that way. You didn't plan the dead forests, but it's not a perfect world. Envy you the solitude of the drive. It's good for the head.

    ReplyDelete