Wednesday, August 28, 2013

flowers - my favorite living things
 
for example
 
 
when I first bought this house
the east side was full of lemon grass
 
it did nothing to keep the morning sun from beating on that east wall
it heated up the whole house
in the evening you could still feel the heat in that wall
 
 
one of the first things I did was transplant the grass to the front
buy an arbor
and plant this vine
 
 
Thunbergia grandiflora
or as it's commonly called - the Sky Plant
 
my friend in Mexico was my inspiration, she has it flowing all down her 2-story house
I have always loved the color of the flowers
 
 
this is from last year at this time
it was starting to bloom
 
this year - holy crap
 
 
it has taken over
 
 
just like I had hoped it would
 
 
it now shades the wall quite well
 
 
 
and has lovely cascading flowers
 



 
this is the kind of thing that makes me happy
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous! I have wanted a flowering vine to climb up the back pillars of the tejas. I have tried two or three different plants but they never last; one season and they're gone. I'll try this one and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete