Thursday, October 10, 2013

I love Mexico City
or DF (day effe) as the locals say
 
but it was a strange trip
even for me....
 
first thing
we drove the tamiami trail through the everglades
to Miami
 
had a great hotel by the airport
 
and I mean by the airport
 
though the plane looks close in this photo
it is nothing compared to how close it felt
I jumped a foot the first time one came around the building
when we were at the pool
 
the location worked out perfect though
we got to park our car there free while we were gone and they
shuttled us to the airport and picked us up
 
also the hotel is across the street from the BEST Cuban restaurant in Miami
such a great dinner
 
manana - Mexico
 
 
 
 we met our friends and had a great first dinner
 
 
in the famous House of Tiles
 
 
 
 
and ended up in this little bar
ahhhh, did I say I love this city
 
 
 
 
it was a little more interesting this time due to a huge police presence
something about protesting teachers from the southern states
that came to the capital and the police were trying to keep them from getting to the zocalo
 
which I thought was strange cause that is what the huge empty space in the middle of Mexico City
was for, like Red Square, for congregating, demonstrating....
 
they were very polite and not threatening in any way
except they looked scary in their riot gear
funny how fast we got use to their presence
 
 
the downtown buildings were all decorated in Mexico's colors
red, white and green as the week before had been their independence day
 
 
the next morning
 


breakfast in another old very famous place
the Café Tucuba
 

 
 it was stunning
 
 
rarely in my world do I get to eat in such beautiful places
 
and then there is a big gap
 
where I stayed in bed for the next 3 days
with what I think was altitude sickness
 
Mexico City is high and the air quality is not the best
 
luckily we had a wonderful room in a great old hotel
the first night we were on the street side and it was very noisy
the next night we moved to an inside room - which is the only thing that saved me
 
 

 
our room looked out on to the side of this old church
I could lie in bed and look at these old stones
and it was quiet, dark and peaceful
 
that church window is up four stories as was our room
some nights I could see the dim lights of candles somewhere below
I could look out and see the sky over the church, a small cross and a Mexican flag
 
in addition there was a huge bathtub in our room
I wish I had taken a photo of it
it was wonderfully relaxing to take a nice hot bath, I took several
 
I lived on fresh juice, scrambled eggs and consume
hold the hot sauce
 
I did manage by the 4th day to make it to the Anthropological Museum
 
 
it was fascinating and I have some great photos to share with you
 
 
 
in the next blog
 


1 comment:

  1. I shared very little of MC with my daughter. Going to invite her to look at your blog. You're the writer!

    ReplyDelete