Monday, October 8, 2012

La Manzanilla
 
a little town on the pacific west coast of Mexico
halfway between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo
 
we went through there 11 years ago on our search for a beach town
it was a dusty unkempt little town
 the town was a mile off the main road
between a bay and the steep hills just off the bay
 
it felt kind of cramped to me and we went looking further south
 
 
oh yeah and the beach was rocky.....
 

this time 
another great lunch on that beach with friends
friends who met me there, wanting to visit old friends of theirs
who I also had met years ago, who were house sitting in town
small world indeed
 
 
our hotel had a lovely upper balcony that our rooms opened on to
 
I have been back several times since that first visit and am always amazed at how
the hills have filled up with huge houses of the ex-pats
 
this town in now settled by gringos
 
our mutual friends were house sitting a huge house on the hill
 
 
their house was the one on the top right
 
 
big crazy stone house
steep, very steep
mcmansion if you will
 

the view was awesome though
that is the bay out there on the horizon
nice place to watch the sun set
 

I thought this was so cool
I had never seen double fans like this
 

they made quite a statement in the room
 
we stayed late visiting and left in the dark the first night
with the aid of flashlights
 
the next night I walked down by  myself just at sunset so I could see without a light
the most amazing thing happened
the road was thick on both sides with fireflies!
I had not seen so many since Punta Mita, over 20 years ago
I lingered till dark on the path just watching
what seemed to be magic
the closer I got to town, the less there were
and finally when I reached the road, there were no more
 
I am so glad to know that the place exists
where fireflies still line the road
 
 
as we left La Manzanilla and headed north to Vallarta
 we passed Tenacatita
Tenacatia is one of my all time favorite spots
currently not accessible as a man who says he is the owner
hired guys with guns to keep everyone else out......
it's more complicated than that
but all you need to know is that another public beach in Mexico
has been privatized
and it is a shame
 

next stop
 
 
for another wonderful lunch of course
 

with great food (that is my favorite salsa)
 

and great company
 
I had been wanting to get off the main highway (2 lane)
in El Tuito many times but never did
I was so glad we finally stopped and drove into town
 

turned out to be a really nice little town
this is across the street from the main square
just down from our resturant
 

the square with a magnificent old tree
I really liked the town and I will be back
 
after El Tuito it was about an hour to Vallarta
  
of course we made the obligatory gringo stop in Vallarta at a big box store
where else could I get organic rice milk??

 
next time -  Las Palmas
another hour northeast of Vallarta toward the mountains
lots of adventures there



ps  for more information on La Manzanilla
 
 
written by a friend of a friend, small world after all
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment