Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mom’s death came in with the new moon early this morning

we had been expecting it and finally praying for it
now her suffering is over
done is her painful battle with cancer
the cancer finally won - it was ruthless and relentless

she was tough though 
she suffered a lot for years and rarely complained

 a week before she died, she told the hospice nurses
that they had better hurry up and cremate her
they said that they couldn't
so she got out of bed and said ok then, I will find someone who will......

I'd say she was ready 


I come from a long line of tough woman
my gread-grandmother,  my mother's grandmother
hired an ampulance to pick her up at her nursing home
and take her to the DRC
the Detroit Race Track where she bet her SS check on the horses
we found out when mom saw her photo in the paper

my grandmother, my mom's mom
slipped out of a couple different nursing homes she had been put in
by calling a cab, sneaking out the back and going home


this is me, my mom, her mom and her grandmother
they are all gone now

they are the woman of the past

I already feel lonely



no one will ever love me as unconditionally as this beautiful woman here
I am so grateful she was my mother
it was an honor and a privaledge to have her


I am grateful that I have a children and grandchildren
it is also an honor and a privaledge to have them

they are the woman and men of the future


mom felt that way too
she was so happy that she got to spend her last year 
with her grandkids and great-grandkids
it meant a lot to her and brought her joy

most special of all to her was meeting  her namesake
 Lucy Bella


our life goes on


Lucy Fern Daubner
May 24, 1930 - July 19, 2012

we love you mom

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute. My love to you all. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Deborah, such a loss ... I find your blog so uplifting and all the generations of your family just gorgeous. Your mom must have been so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Deb, I've been away from the blogsphere for almost a week and didn't see this when originally posted. Your mother was born on my younger daughter's birthday and died on Jim's birthday. I send you my best wishes, deepest sympathy, and best love and comfort. Like our mutual friend, one prays for the end to suffering but that prayer is mixed with the wish to hold on. Death, he is not easy for anyone.

    ReplyDelete