Saturday, June 23, 2012

a most amazing tree

last night before dark and in-between the rain
I took a walk

walking is my new favorite thing
I have been walking almost every night for an hour or more
usually I go late, 11 or 12
no cars, no people out, it is so quiet, so peaceful

this is a tree I pass often
I know it is a huge tree but I pass it in the dark

last evening what I saw stopped me in my tracks

this tree had great long stalks of huge flowers

this morning when I went back to take pictures
also between the rain
most of the flowers were not open

the whole tree looked like this stem yesterday

and then I looked down

the ground covered

in huge flowers

and the fruits

 were just as amazing

they were equally as huge and looked very strange
hanging down from the tree

you can see why it's common name is the sausage tree
it is also known as the African Tulip Tree
which I like a lot better

I found a seed pod that was on the ground and took several seeds from it last night
I planted them and will let you know if they germinate
today I took a whole seed pod just in case they don't

I took several flowers from the ground too

oh and you are wondering about me tromping around in someone's yard
 no one lives in the house

it's an abandoned tree


I wish I could adopt it



1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing these trees in Kenya where they are indeed called Sausage Trees. Also African Moonflower tree. The blossoms' scent is similar to the magnolia flower; citrus-y, as I recall. There was one outside the apartment we had in Nairobi and I loved that smell in the hot night air after the rains, sharp and lemony and fresh. What a find!

    ReplyDelete