Saturday, July 19, 2014

New Orleans changed me


a wonderful couple we met in Key West said,
if you like key West - you will love New Orleans
they were SO right

it changed me, this trip change me

New Orleans - changed me

***
well of course let's start at the beginning
New Orleans is 735 miles from our house - that is a 2 day trip for me

first stop the Swanee River - yep the famous Swanee
 ("how I love you, how I love you")


I came here with my grandparents when I was a kid
or at least I thought this was the one, now I see there are lots of parks on the Swanee......

 
 
here is the swim in the famous Swanee River
the sand is white but the tannin in the water turns it orange and dark
very refreshing in a 90 degree day


 lots of kayaking and canoeing opportunities along the river
we did not bring the kayaks this trip but we will be back


okay the most amazing thing about this park is that hole in the wall
above is the old stone work around the spring
it looks mucky but it isn't - the yellow is sand and the dark is deep water
the spring wells up in the middle of the dark center and goes out the hole
under the wall into the river


it was so much fun to jump in the spring and let it shoot you out into the river
the spring water was very cold and the river warm
you needed someone to catch you though 
or the current took you down river fast

lucky for me there were some local kids and they very happily stopped
and helped people out
I did it until I could hardly walk


next stop 


Ponce de Leon Springs
they created a swimming area around the spring



 the water was turquoise


 a small damn spilled from the swimming area into the river


 this was the most amazingly clear little river
it was very cold as was the swimming area but very refreshing

did you know that Florida is covered with natural fresh water springs?

27 first magnitude springs move over six billion gallons every day!
and there are over 900 known springs in Florida!!



and 


 there was this tree - all over the southern states
crype myrtle


 they got huge

and these were nothing compared to the ones in New Orleans


which was our next stop




just as we get across Lake Pontchartrain - we could see the storm coming


it was so bad everyone pulled off the road and waited for it to blow through
which it does most of the time here in the rainy season


 when we crossed Florida Street - we knew were close
our son bought a house a few blocks from there
he got me to New Orleans and I am so grateful!

when we got to where they were staying I used the bathroom
on the wall was a PLAY LIST - that is so New Orleans


 there were also several other 


 walls artistically done

we were happy to have rented an apartment in the Bywater nearby
half a shot gun as they say


it was over 140 years old


it was a wonderful home for a week
the feeling was like we lived there and were part of a neighborhood 
instead of tourists
it had all the right things, old wood fireplaces, big claw foot bath tub
and a great front porch to hang out on, super high ceilings with fans

we essentially came to the city to support our son in buying his house


 here is the happy seller and happy buyer
it was the sellers aunt and uncles house, he grew up there
he said he would be checking in to see how the rehab was going
they both look pretty happy

new house


  I love the brick and sweet little yard

that accomplished - we were free to explore the city




to be continued......
























No comments:

Post a Comment