Wednesday, May 16, 2012

one of my very favorite authors died yesterday
Carlos Fuentes
some of his books are amazing and wonderful

these are my favorites
The Orange Tree, Burnt Water, The Years With Laura Diaz

(he is best known for The Old Gringo
because it was made into an American movie, though it was a great book too)

he was not just a novelist, he was an intellectual in the public arena
he explored the relationship between the ancient fathers and mothers of modern Mexico
the Spanish, the Indians and the Mestizo's
his writing included political as well as literary commentary
he was creative about where Mexico had been
and vocal about where it should be going

he said, "The imagination exists and social commentary exists.
They are not at war with each other."

it is a shame my Spanish will never be good enough
for me to read him in the language he wrote in
but happy to be able to read him at all
he has been a great inspiration in my thinking and writing
I love Mexico and he has tempered my understanding of her

and he is muy guapo, no?
caliente!

No comments:

Post a Comment