Friday, April 6, 2012

mystery solved

thanks to my friend B.


this is the Blue Walking Iris Plant - Neomarica

as per Amazon


I believe I have Neomarica caerulia
and not Neomarica gracilis
as my flowers are more blue, the gracilis has more white




when I went outside this morning
I saw that this amazing plant had 5 more flower buds
they were so cute,
 little caps coming out of that same branch
like a magician's magic trick



as soon as the sun came up over the fence, these flowers started to unfurl



right before my eyes


it was amazing to me


these plants originally came from Brazil
 their common name is the Apostle Plant
which comes from the belief that a
Neomarica will not bloom until the plant has 12 leaves.


and though beautiful, they are deadly
all parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested....

good to know





3 comments:

  1. What fine looking flowers they are! I thought flowers from bulbs only did well with four seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure how well bulbs like tulip and daffodils would do here but there are lots of tropical bulbs I am learning about!

      Delete
  2. Deborah, have you changed your email address? I have sent you a couple of messages but they have come back saying "not a subscriber". They are at a charter.net address. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete